Why You Should Fast :: Cru
Cru is the name of Campus Crusade for Christ in the United States. Learn
· This Site
· Give to Staff, Ministries
· All Of Our Sites
** cru : a caring community passionate about connecting people to Jesus
Campus Crusade for Christ
· How to Know God
· Would You Like to Know God Personally?
· Who Is Jesus?
· Did Jesus Rise From the Dead?
· Jesus and the Intellectual
· My Story
· Training & Growth
· Classic Cru
10 Basic Steps to Christian Maturity
· Intro: The Uniqueness of Jesus
· 1: The Christian Adventure
· 2: The Christian and the Abundant Life
· 3: The Christian and the Holy Spirit
· 4: The Christian and Prayer
· 5: The Christian and the Bible
· 6: The Christian and Obedience
· 7: The Christian and Witnessing
· 8: The Christian and Giving
· 9: The Old Testament
· 10: The New Testament
· You Can Be Sure You Are a Christian
· Experience God's Love and Forgiveness
· Be Filled With the Holy Spirit
· Walk in the Spirit
· Be a Fruitful Witness
· Introduce Others to Christ
· Help Fulfill the Great Commission
· Love By Faith
· Pray With Confidence
· Experience the Adventure of Giving
The Spirit-Filled Life
Would You Like to Know God Personally?
The Four Spiritual Laws
· Prayer, Quiet Times, Devotionals
7 Steps to Successful Fasting & Prayer
Your Personal Guide to Fasting & Prayer
· Bible Studies
· Where Is God Calling You?
· Salary and Benefits
· How we Raise Our Salaries
· Application Process
Spiritual Fasting - What Does the Bible Say About Spiritual Fasting?
1. Religion & Spirituality
· Christian Living
· Study the Bible
Free Christianity Newsletter![INPUT]
*Discuss* in my forum
** Spiritual Fasting **
*What Does the Bible Say About Spiritual Fasting?*
By Mary Fairchild, About.com Guide
"Spiritual Fasting" Photo: Win Initiative / Getty Images
*See More About*
· bible questions
· bible foods
In the Old Testament, God commanded Israel to observe several set times of
fasting. For New Testament believers, fasting was neither commanded nor
forbidden in the Bible. While early Christians were not required to fast,
many practiced prayer and fasting regularly. Jesus himself affirmed in Luke
5:35 that after his death fasting would be appropriate for his followers.
Spiritual fasting clearly has a place and a purpose for God's people today.
-What is Spiritual Fasting?-
In most cases, a spiritual fast involves abstaining from food while
focusing on prayer. This can mean refraining from snacks between meals,
skipping one or two meals a day, abstaining only from certain foods, or a
total fast from all food for an entire day or longer.
For medical reasons, some people may not be able to fast from food
altogether. They may choose to abstain only from certain foods, like sugar
or chocolate, or from something other than food. In truth, believers can
fast from anything. Doing without something temporarily, such as television
or soda, as a way of redirecting our focus from earthly things toward God,
can also be considered a spiritual fast.
-The Purpose of Spiritual Fasting-
While many people fast to lose weight, dieting is not the purpose of a
spiritual fast. Instead, fasting provides
© 2005-2019 HaveYourSay.org