Tax codes - GOV.UK

Skip to main content

GOV.UK uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies



1. Home
2. Money and tax
3. Income Tax

** Tax codes **

1. 1. Overview
2. 2. Numbers in your tax code: what they mean
3. 3. Letters in your tax code: what they mean

1. 4. When your tax code changes
2. 5. What your PAYE Coding Notice means
3. 6. If you think your code is wrong

** 1. Overview **

Your tax code is used by your employer or pension provider to work out how
much Income Tax to take from your pay or pension.

The code is worked out by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), who sends it to
your employer or pension provider.

Your tax code will be made up of:

· numbers - these refer to how much income you can have before you pay tax
· usually one letter - it refers to your situation and how it affects your
tax-free Personal Allowance

1100L is the tax code currently used for most people who have one job.

Your tax code will change each tax year (6 April to 5 April the following
year), usually because the Personal Allowance is increased. Your code can
also change for other reasons, for example if you start or stop getting
state benefits (including the State Pension) or company benefits like a
company car.

You may be paying the wrong amount of tax if you’re on the wrong tax

*Where to find your tax code*

You can get your tax code from:

· payslips from your employer or pension provider
· the check your Income Tax service - this also shows how the code was
worked out


what is my tax code

© 2005-2019