How are cells alive?
Are cells alive? - Quora
This page may be out of date. Save your draft before refreshing this
page.Submit any pending changes before refreshing this page.
Hide this message.
Life and Living
** Are cells alive? **
E.g. Blood cells
Sam Sinai, Theoretical(ly) biologist
1.1k Views •
Sam has 60+ answers and 15 endorsements in
This is similar to asking 'Can an Airplane tail fly' ?
The answer is yes and no. The tail is essential for flying but it is not
sufficient. Living is a process, and in order for the process to work, you
need all parts, blood cells, or any other specified tissue alone would be
necessary (or useful), but not sufficient by themselves to maintain the
process of life.
Written 142w ago • View Upvotes
More Answers Below
· Since we know that proteins and acids and the elements that make up
human cells are not alive, yet cells are by all definitions alive, why
· Is fire alive?
· What moves the molecules around inside cells that keep it alive?
· Cells (biology): Is an embryo considered "life" or alive? If not, why?
· Why are the cells that make up phloem alive?
Daniel Super, Game Programmer
353 Views •
Daniel has 180+ answers in
Life and Living
Yes , individual cells are life forms and most of the ones that compose
your body are alive. By alive I mean they exhibit the commonly defined 7
characteristics of life.
1. Living things are composed of cells.
2. Living things have different levels of organization.
3. Living things use energy.
4. Living things respond to their environment.
5. Living things grow.
6. Living things reproduce
© 2005-2018 HaveYourSay.org