Does a magnet stick to gold?
6 Ways to Tell if Gold Is Real - wikiHow
· LOG IN
-Log in via-
Forgot password? Create an account
Community DashboardRandom ArticleAbout UsCategoriesRecent Changes
· HELP US
Write an ArticleRequest a New ArticleAnswer a RequestMore Ideas...
Edit this Article
· » Categories
· » Personal Care and Style
· » Fashion
· » Jewelry and Watches
** How to Tell if Gold Is Real **
Six Methods:Visual InspectionBite TestMagnet TestDensity TestCeramic Plate
TestNitric Acid Test
By American standards, fake gold is anything less than 10 Karats/Carats. If
you're wondering whether your gold is real, the most reliable way to find
out is to take it to a certified jeweler and have it tested. If you want to
check for yourself, here's a list of tests you can conduct to tell if your
gold is real.
Method 1 of 6: Visual Inspection -
The first thing to do to check if you have real gold is to look at it. Look
for particular signs that point to real gold.
1. Tell if Gold Is Real Step 1 Version 2.jpgTell if Gold Is Real Step 1
*Inspect the piece for official markings.* A stamp will indicate either
fineness (1-999 or .1-.999) or karat (10K, 14K, 18K, 22K or 24K). A
magnifying glass will make this easier.
· An older piece might not have a visible marking due to wear.
· Counterfeit pieces can often have a marking that appears authentic;
more testing may be needed either way.
2. Tell if Gold Is Real Step 2 Version 2.jpgTell if Gold Is Real Step 2
© 2005-2019 HaveYourSay.org