Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--------------------

** Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs **

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The consumption of grapes and raisins presents a potential health threat to
dogs. Their toxicity to dogs can cause the animal to develop acute renal
failure (the sudden development of kidney failure) with anuria (a lack of
urine production). The phenomenon was first identified by the Animal Poison
Control Center (APCC), run by the American Society for the Prevention of
Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). A trend was seen as far back as 1999.^[1]
Approximately 140 cases were seen by the APCC in the one year from April
2003 to April 2004, with 50 developing symptoms and seven dying.^[2]
Strangely many dogs can ingest large amounts of grapes with impunity so it
is not clear that the observed cases of renal failure following ingestion
are due to grapes only. Clinical findings suggest raisin and grape
ingestion can be fatal, but the "mechanism of toxicity" is still considered
unknown.^[3]

*Contents*

· 1 Cause and pathology
· 2 Clinical signs and diagnosis
· 3 Treatment
· 4 References

*Cause and pathology[edit]*

The reason some dogs develop renal failure following ingestion of grapes
and raisins is not known. Types of grapes involved include both seedless
and seeded, store bought and homegrown, and grape pressings from
wineries.^[4] A mycotoxin is suspected to be involved, but one has not been
found in grapes or raisins ingested by affected dogs.^[5] The estimated
toxic dose of grapes is 32 g/kg (1.1oz/kg) (grams of grapes per kilograms
of mass of the dog), and for raisins it is 11–30 g/kg. (0.39 –
1.06 oz/kg) ^[3] Dogs suffer acute renal failure after ingesting 3


Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs


can dogs eat grapes

© 2005-2018 HaveYourSay.org